Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The Aerial Locomotive

I ran across this at a fleamarket, someone used paraffin to attach this to a piece of cardboard it seemed very old but I didn't think it was real.

Turns out there really was a Rufus Porter trying to do this.

R. Porter & company really did have plans to build this, and it would have been 100 years ahead of the German Zeppelin.  It looks like it may have worked too.


Click to Enlarge



More Interesting reading on this:
Mystery Airships of the 1800's
Mystery Airships: The Steampunk UFOs Part Three
Flying Machines - Rufus Porter
Townsend Historical Society - Rufus Porter
Rufus Porter Museum - Chronology of Rufus Porter's Life

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought it was a gag as well..I have an original one as well..I figure someone put the one you have on a backer board because the paper is fragile..but its so interesting.